Thursday, October 6, 2011

What am I going to cook for dinner tonight???

The idea started several years ago to do a meal swap. A friend mentioned the idea, and I was skeptical, I am not going to lie. Would we like the food? Would it be worth the day in the kitchen preparing the food? Well, let me tell you...it was a genius idea, and I haven't missed but one swap in three years. (I had just had a baby - good excuse, right?!)

The premise: each mom would make one (or two) recipes for multiple families and then swap with other moms. This allowed one day of cooking and a full freezer of different meals. Suddenly the dreaded thought of "what am I going to cook for dinner tonight" became much more simple! Pull something out of the freezer and have some sides. Wonderful!

For the most part we do two meals each, and during the summer one of those meals is usually a grilling option. Those are wonderful b/c most of us love to grill out and the meal is really easy to make. (plop a meat in a marinade and you're done) Currently we're doing one organic meal (to the best of our ability) and one non-organic. It helps keep the cost down, and quite frankly it's rather hard finding organic options here in WalMart land...

Through the years we've had a few flops, but for the most part we've had some amazing meals! We decided it would be nice to compile the recipes for quick reference...hence the starting of this blog!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea for the blog!!! I am intimidated by meal swaps and thinking about doing one w/a group of girls!! i have a few recipes, but this blog will help make me look like I know a little bit more about cooking...esp since these are tried and true recipes that y'all have already "swapped!"
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete